Why Chimney Sweeping / Cleaning is Recommended for Your Home
What most people picture when you ask them about chimney sweeping is either a young lad covered from head to toe in soot or a tall skinny guy a.k.l. Dick Van Dike in “Mary Poppins”, again covered from head to toe in soot. This was a very accurate picture up through the century’s. However, in the last few decades cleaning a chimney has become a much more high tech industry than most people realize.
While we do still use a series of tools to scrape and brush the interior of the chimney , we have some very special cameras to view the appliance from top to bottom. We also use a very powerful vacuum system with a triple HEPA filter to catch any particles that try to enter your home from the chimney system through the firebox as described in detail below.
To help you see exactly what we do when sweeping a chimney we have included a link to The Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) about how Basic Chimney Sweep & Repair will sweep your fireplace. What we have found out over the years is an educated consumer on the care and maintenance of their fireplace better understands what we do. You can relax and be sure we are taking care of protecting your family from potential harm. You might also want to check out the glossary at the top of the video pane as well. This gives you a very good picture of how your fireplace is constructed.
All of our Chimney Sweeps:
- Are Certified by the CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America)
- Have been through a thorough background check
- Go through training on an annual basis to stay on top of the latest in our industry
What to Expect When We Sweep the Chimney System:
Because chimney sweeps are viewed as a dirty lot, the #1 concern we have from our customers it that their home will be left with spatters of soot and ash everywhere. As stated above there is no mess left in your home! We guarantee it! The job is not over until your home is as clean, or cleaner than when we started.
Here is a brief description of exactly what we do each and every time when you invite us into your home to work on your fireplace and chimney.
- Tarps are laid out in front of the fireplace to protect your carpet and we set up a dust collector to make sure that no soot gets into your home.
- We take brushes and sweep the inside of your chimney, from the bottom (firebox) floor to the top (chimney top).
- The damper and damper assembly is cleaned and adjusted.
- Brushes on rods are used to sweep the flue, hand brushes for smoke chamber, and that vacuum we talked about with a triple layer HEPA filter to control dust working the entire time this is done.
- After this is completed, a visual inspection takes place on the outside of the chimney. We check the mortar work, brickwork and crown to make sure everything is in working order. Any damage or needed repairs are documented with photos that will be shown to you.
- We never leave without supplying you a copy of the written evaluation and estimate of recommended work; if applicable.
- We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee, which includes leaving your home as clean or cleaner than when we started (homeowner must be present at time of service).
- It is recommended by The CSIA that this service should be done annually. We adhere to this recommendation as well.
We welcome any additional questions about what we do when we clean a chimney. Just give the appropriate office a call. We look forward to visiting with you and the opportunity to sweeping your chimney!